Canada Greener Homes Grant and Reducing our Carbon Footprint
There is a lot of discussions lately about our carbon footprint, how it is affecting the world, and what we can do to reduce it. The amount of fossil fuels that are burned has garnered the attention of environmentalists, politicians, and concerned citizens over the last few decades. There is one conclusion most people can agree on, this is impacting our environment and we need to make some changes in order to help our planet. Reducing the amount of power we are consuming is done the way we as homeowners can have a positive impact. There are several ways to do this and there are even government programs available that can help ease the financial burden of household energy upgrades. Programs like the Canada Greener Homes Grant are a great example of this.
Tips to Reduce your Carbon Footprint
Remember to be conscientious in the management of your household power consumption, and start by simply asking yourself what are some of the easy things you can do to start saving on energy.
- One of the easiest things to do is to turn off lights when you leave a room. It is a simple task but adds up and can make a big difference in how much power is being used by your home.
- Along the same lines, replace your standard bulbs with LEDs. These use considerably less energy to do the same job and last much longer.
- Make sure your appliances are set to maximize energy economy. For example, your hot water heater only needs to be set at 49 degrees Celsius to inhibit bacterial growth. The same concept applies to your fridge and freezer, do not set them any colder than they need to be to do their job.
- Unplug any electronics that you are not using. Electronics that are plugged in draw a small amount of electricity even when not in use. If you think about how many things you leave plugged in, that adds up to quite a lot of energy waste!
- Try to keep your windows shut if you have the furnace or A/C on. Even better, in the summer open the windows and do not run the A/C unless it is completely necessary.
All these things sound like small efforts, but if everybody did them what a difference that could make!
Canada Greener Homes Grant
Did you know there is a way you can reduce your carbon footprint and increase the value of your home? Natural Resources Canada has introduced the Canada Greener Homes Initiative, a grant that incentivizes homeowners to make upgrades to their home that can help it run more efficiently and reduce their carbon footprint. Cash rebates are awarded to homeowners making retrofit upgrades to areas, such as, insulation, air sealing, windows and doors, smart thermostats, space and water heating, renewable energy, and weatherproofing. You can receive cash rebates of up to $5,000 to help finance improvements to your home that will also save you money over the long run, sounds like a win-win. The goal that the Canada Greener Homes Grants is trying to achieve is to encourage Canadians to lower carbon emissions. Making these changes means that you are making your home more energy efficient and lowering both yours and the country’s carbon footprint.
To learn more about Canada Greener Homes Grant visit https://www.doyleplumbing.ca/#CGHI and download our free information paper. Also, if you are considering making some changes to your home in order to qualify for the Canada Greener Homes Grant, let Doyle help you out. Call us for a free estimate.
Get in Touch With Doyle Home Services Today!
Thanks so much for sending Jason and Dan for this task. Both were capable and courteous and completed the job in short order.
— Al, Peterborough, ON
Just wanted to let you know that Kirk was at my home to correct a glitch with our tankless water heater - gotta' say, couldn't be happier.
— Mac & Diane, Peterborough, ON
Doyle sent two plumbers to my house to fix a leak in my kitchen. The best work I’ve ever seen, professional and courteous.
— Charles, Durham, ON
We had Doyle’s come to fix our furnace. The office staff are great, the guys work long hours so people like us have heat and don’t freeze!
— Debbie, Peterborough, ON
I’ve struggled with my air conditioning unit at my business for 5 years. The guys at Doyle were helpful and brainstormed several solutions. In the end, they fixed it!
— Becki, Cobourg, ON
AMAZING service… Starting with the first visit when the quote was provided to the QUICK follow up and scheduling of my appointment. Great work.
— Jeffery, Oshawa, ON
Would you like more info or a free quote? Fill out the form below.