Closing your cottage for the winter
Protecting your home away from home
It is that time of year again, the weather starts to turn cooler, kids go back to school and all the summer fun has ended. With that comes the end of summer weekends at the cottage. It is hard leaving the cottage for the long cold winter, but it is a little easier if you have peace of mind that it will be safe until you are ready to come back. Our technicians are experts at closing cottages, they do it many times every season and know how to properly winterize your favourite getaway (we can open them for you too!). We can service cottages both big and small located around Minden, Kawartha Lakes, Peterborough and more.
Let your technicians give you peace-of-mind this winter
For a cottage closing each cottage is unique in what it needs but there are some basic steps that we follow. Below is a guideline of what things we would check before closing your cottage for the season:
- Inspect the septic system to make sure there are no obvious problems. If found, repair any issues before closing up
- Ensure the sump pump is on and functioning properly. Your sump pump should be left on for the winter, if it is not you could experience flooding as the weather gets warmer
- Turn the power off to the water pump and hot water tank, then drain all pipes coming into the cottage
- Turn all taps on and keep open
- Ensure your hot water tank is also drained completely, as well as your pressure tank
- Take out the drain plug form your jet pump and put somewhere safe to be put back in when you return
Now you can walk away from your cottage all winter. It should be just as you left it when you come back and are ready to
Get in Touch With Doyle Home Services Today!
Thanks so much for sending Jason and Dan for this task. Both were capable and courteous and completed the job in short order.
— Al, Peterborough, ON
Just wanted to let you know that Kirk was at my home to correct a glitch with our tankless water heater - gotta' say, couldn't be happier.
— Mac & Diane, Peterborough, ON
Doyle sent two plumbers to my house to fix a leak in my kitchen. The best work I’ve ever seen, professional and courteous.
— Charles, Durham, ON
We had Doyle’s come to fix our furnace. The office staff are great, the guys work long hours so people like us have heat and don’t freeze!
— Debbie, Peterborough, ON
I’ve struggled with my air conditioning unit at my business for 5 years. The guys at Doyle were helpful and brainstormed several solutions. In the end, they fixed it!
— Becki, Cobourg, ON
AMAZING service… Starting with the first visit when the quote was provided to the QUICK follow up and scheduling of my appointment. Great work.
— Jeffery, Oshawa, ON
Would you like more info or a free quote? Fill out the form below.